Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 01:20:26 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Faisal Gillani" <fasi_74@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports information & removal

Faisal Gillani <fasi_74@yahoo.com> types:
> 1 How can we see which ports are install in our system ?

pkg_info

> 2 how can we remove selected ?

pkg_delete, or if you installed from ports, "make deinstall" in the
port directory.

> 3 what does the install program show if it encounter any dependicies problem
> ?

It shows the dependencies being installed, or it halts showing the
reason they couldn't be installed.

> 4 why we call these ports why not pakages like other os ?

Because they aren't the same thing.  A package is a built binary of an
application that you install on a system. You can get and install
those if you want. A port is basically a canned tool for building and
installing the binary from original sources, and includes the ability
to build a package.

	<mike