Date:      Fri, 03 Jan 1997 21:36:17 +1000
From:      Andrew Perry <andrew@shoal.net.au>
To:        questions freebsd <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   user PPP connecting to ISP via modem

To whom it may concern, who will help me that is!

I've managed to install 2.1.6 on my home pc and am trying to connect to my ISP via
modem using user ppp. I have read through the FreeBSD handbook and also some related
articles on the net but so far so little...

My ISP uses a xylogics annex and a cisco router and a BSDI box. You dial in and
login to the annex which then gives you a menu from which you can telnet to the bsdi
box, connect using slip or connect using ppp (dynamic IP allocation), when i try to
connect using ppp my modem hangs up almost immediately.

I am basically stuck at this stage and although I am doing a lot of reading I don't
seem to be getting very far. I am fairly certain about the ip addresses etc... but
need a little guidance. If I have any of the addresses wrong or the netmask could
this cause this problem? I have priviledge on the BSDI box, how can I find out if I
am using the correct addresses (my isp thinks they are correct but a his server was
set up for him by a third party)? Does anyone know of any log files that I can look
at on the BSDI server to try and find the problem?

thanks for your time
andrew perry
andrew@shoal.net.au

___|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_   if i could just get my head over the