Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 1999 17:20:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new-bus, a success report.

On Sun, 18 Apr 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Since everybody's slagging new-bus right now, I thought I'd just jump
> in and say that as of 10 minutes ago, having made the world and a new
> kernel, everything's working great.  NOTE: Look at GENERIC!  Things
> have changed and you will likely need to update your old config file
> before everything is peachy again.  I had to update my PS/2 rodent and
> keyboard entries, as well as the parallel port bus stuff, and it's now
> working wonderfully on my dual PII/450 with a fairly non-trivial set
> of peripherals plugged into it, including on-board PnP sound and a
> Hauppage bt848 card for video.

Heck, Jordan, you weren't first.  I can't understand why Alex is all
upset, most especially about the sound breakage (which I don't see, my
sound works fine).  The sound stuff is one of the things that's likely
to be helped by the fact of our bus technology on the road to becoming
closer to NetBSD/OpenBSD bus technology, so we can share code.  It's not
done, but that's the path, and Alex would be one of those helped by it.

I don't see any breakage at all, myself, but even if there is (and I
know, there must be some) then it sure seems worth it.

This new-bus stuff is absolutely great, and I hope Doug, Peter, and
everyone else involved doesn't hear the criticism only.  You guys are
doing fine work.

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).