Date:      Sat, 7 Sep 1996 00:25:22 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se (Mikael Karpberg)
Cc:        marcs@alive.ampr.ab.ca, FreeBSD-stable@FreeBSD.org, FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: interest in syscons cut&paste patches for 2.1.5?

According to Mikael Karpberg:
> According to Marc Slemko:
> > I have updated my patches to 2.1.5 so they are up to date to Soren's
> > latest commit, and have packaged them up and made them available for ftp
> > at ftp://ftp.worldgate.com/pub/marcs/2_1_5.syscons-mouse.960905.tar.gz.
> > Directions are included in the tar file.
>
> Hmm... I did as told in the README file and I encountered a problem.
> Doesn't seem big, but... There is only ONE place where FONT_NONE can be found
> after applying the patch. (Did a grep and couldn't find more then that, at
> least. ..../*.c ..../*.h) That place is set_mode in syscons.c, and should be
> a define somehwere, I guess. Anyway, since it's not defined, my compile, not
> surprisingly, chokes and dies. :-(
>
> Ideas how to proceede?
> Maybe...
> #define FONT_NONE 0
> ... in syscons.h?

I guess I shouldn't have been so hasty to send that email. Then I could have
included this too. Anyway...

I took my own advice to do that define, and it's solved the whole problem with
compilation. Ran right through, installed and worked fine. Well... almost. :-)

The mouse pointer seems to work, but it's NOT good looking. I can move four
characters around, and these cover what I put them over, and are not
"see through" as I expected. In these four chars there are traces of a good
looking pointer, split up and spread around. :-)
I should mention I run with this in /etc/sysconfig (in case it's important):
keyboard="swedish.iso"
Font8xYY=iso-8xYY  (YY = 16,14,8)

I'm affraid I'm not quite sure what computer and graphics card I'm using,
on this machine. It's a Cyrix 486dx2 80Mhz, at least, 8MB ram. Not more then
2 years old. I installed 2.1.5 just a few days ago, and it's a vertually
untouched source, except for this patch. Only thing I did was to go into
syscons.h and added "#define FONT_NONE 0x000" and changed HISTORY_SIZE to
500*80.

Speaking of which, here's some ideas I've been thinking about:

It's rather annoying to have to go into the source to set the scrollback length
for the consoles. It wasn't terribly easy to find the place to change,
the first time I was going to do it. Just finding ones way through the
directory structure is not easy, when you're new to it. Now it's a pretty
quick thing to change every time, since I found it ones. However...

Would it not be possible to make that an option in the LINT, etc config files?
It's something that effects a user pretty closely, and would be nice to be
able to set on the same place as everything else. 100 rows scrollback is NOT
much. I use 1000-5000 in my xterms, but that's only when I run X. If you're
stuck on the console for one reason or the other, it's nice to have more than
100 rows.

More about syscons (?):

I seem to remember the keyboard working correctly when I ran something like
2.1-950412-SNAP, while using "keyboard=swedish.iso". It does weird things now
though. Enter on numeric keyboard brings me to ttyv2, there's no way (that me,
or any of my friends found) to get a telnet-escape character (^]), etc.
(Oh, this is only in console mode, ofcourse. In X it works fine.)
Where's the error? The swedish.iso file?
Anyone else noticed this?

Oh, and also syscons:

*sigh* One thing is annoying me TERRIBLY about syscons. That the beep is not
global amoung all ttys! If you get a talk or so on one of the ttyvXX screens
and you are working on another, or in X, you wont notice a thing.
VERY frustrating. A friend said that was fixed in 2.2. True? How would I go
about making it work in 2.1.5? Maybe add that to the syscons patch for 2.1.5,
if you make a new version, Marc? Or someone, let me in on how to do it?

FreeBSD seems to move on just fine, and become even more splendid.
Nice work everyone!

Thanks for listening...

   /Mikael