Date:      Sun, 12 Aug 2001 20:49:14 +0100
From:      Richard Smith <rdls@satamatics.com>
To:        Matthew Sundling <sundlm@rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: security check output: questionable setuid diffs help?

On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 11:15:49AM -0400, Matthew Sundling wrote:
> I am new to the land of maintaining and securing my own unix-like
> box, and so I have been presented with all the new problems
> (interesting learning experiences?) that lie therein.
>
> FYI: my machine = FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE #2: Fri Aug  3 19:32:28
> GMT 2001
>
> I just started reading/following online security related websites
> on how to secure my machine yesturday (before yesturday my
> machine was running at securelevel=-1, with finger/telnet/ftp all
> still active in the default manner), and curiously messages
> appeared in my daily security check emails today (pasted below).
>
> Please note the change in time stamp.  I would also point out the
> fact that I started logging TCP/UDP connection attempts
> yesturday, and it looked like several (~7) machines were port
> scanning.  Also, my ISP is a rather open cable modem network.
> Also, I know little about true security and the art of detecting
> breaches.  And I have not done any recent make worlds or
> installed any new system software since yesturday that would
> cause these changes.  I did remove all services from the inetd,
> though...

There is a lot of port scanning going on at the moment, best
have a decent firewall configuration.

> Also, the header of the daily security log included:
> > To: undisclosed-recipients:;
> Is this normal?  I ask because I have no 'original' logs to
> compare the header against, so I can't tell if this is normal.  I
> Checked my crontab,/etc/periodic/* stuff and it _seems_ like root
> is the only recipient, but I can't really tell.

Just means that a `To' field was not written into the header, so
the receiving MUA put that in instead.

> Any suggestions?  Has my machine been penetrated? Any advice?

Disable everything you do not use. e.g. inetd, portmap, etc.

> my.hostaddr.goes.here setuid diffs:

[snip, millions of files exactly 4 hours time difference]

Changed this machines time zone recently ?

--
Richard Smith
Network Systems Director