Date:      Mon, 03 Apr 1995 13:46:14 +0000
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@star-gate.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>, hackers@FreeBSD.org, jkh@FreeBSD.org, hasty@netcom.com
Subject:   Re: Whee - I've got my MBONE feed..

>>> "Jordan K. Hubbard" said:
 > > I think only the GUS card (with Hasty patches) will give you vat output.
 > > I am afraid that these changes will not work will with 2.0-0322-SNAP sound
 > > file changes, but I have not dug into that to check.
 >
 > I'd be really happy if we could start nailing this down!  I'm sure I'm
 > not the only FreeBSD user who's going to have these questions! ;-)

Well, here is the scoop on VAT:

o vat does not work with the sound driver in sys-current.

o my patches to make vat work are for FreeBSD-2.0.
  I may upgrade the patches soon so that people running FreeBSD-current
  can easily drop in the patches and have vat up and running.

o James Lowe promised to re-vamp the vat driver so I hope that he does
  this with sys-current.

o Me, I have been waiting for the sound driver V30 to fully merge in
  the old sound driver changes to make vat work. When I am done
  with V30, I will submit my patches to Hannu so that we don't go
  thru this mess again. About a month ago I submitted the bi-directional
  dma stuff for the GUS  to Hannu however he was too busy wrapping
  the sound driver V30 release. Last but not least I just got
  the sound driver V30 from Hannu a few days ago.

About the video stuff, the hardware is just reaching the market however
I feel that before the year's end we will have a cool video offering.

So far my favorite video card is Jazz Jakarta it can do ntsc output,
input , and mpeg  playback. The card comes in VLB or PCI and supports
24bit colors :)

When Jazz Multimedia makes their SDK available in another month or
so I will be happy to let the group know ...

	Hope this helps,
	Amancio