Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 1995 12:06:09 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        faulkner@mpd.tandem.com (Boyd Faulkner)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: install compressed binary patch

>I was getting ready to ask about 1).  Couldn't 2) be fixed?  Taking an SVR4
>internals class and now I can ask all kinds of stupid questions!
>
>Boyd
>
>I am not implying that 2) is worth fixing but with it's own file system and
>operations, it seems you could redirect the vnode to point into swap if the
>refcnt is greater than 0.  Please tell me if I'm wrong.

   It is possible to architect it in a way that would allow sharing. This
would likely require (among other things) a compression filesystem to manage
it. It's even conceivable that you might be able to devise a method and
still use a variant of the current technology...but no matter how you slice
it, it's going to be a difficult thing to do.

-DG