Date:      Sat, 1 Sep 2001 18:01:43 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
To:        Bsd Newbie <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: overclocking and FreeBSD stablity...

From: Bsd Newbie <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 08:44:24PM -0700

> I kinda' agree with Sean... I ran RedHat 6.0 or 6.1 on this system a while
> back... my CPU was oc'ed to 464 and it was running on default voltage... I
> had zero problems... as a matter of fact it was extremely fast... with
> 256mb it never accesses the swap space.
>
> I guess Solaris isn't well made for the PC... it's constantly using the
> swap space.

That's not very bad, you know.  On the same machine, running Linux
(versions ranging from 1.2.x to 2.2.x) I saw that Linux does not use
swap a lot.  When it does though, performance becomes awful.  Running
FreeBSD (versions ranging from 2.2.x to 5.0-CURRENT) the use of swap
space is more extensive, but performance is not bad at all.

It all depends on the virtual memory implementation, and trying to
compare VM-implementations by comparing their swap-space use, is a bit
like comparing apples to oranges.

Overclocking is not bad, either.  But if you want to be absolutely
certain that it's not a 'bug' caused by an overheated CPU, but a real
software bug, you have to follow the non-overclocked path, exactly
like Kris suggested earlier in this thread.

> I think i'm going to purge Solaris and stick with FreeBSD on this one.

Depending on what has worked best for you so far, yes, this might be
the way to go.

-giorgos