Date:      Mon, 1 Jun 1998 15:16:13 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        "Ekaterina N. Ivannikova" <kate@forsys.msk.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: firewall/router setup?

On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, Ekaterina N. Ivannikova wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, Andrzej Bialecki wrote:
> >
> > For the exact interpretation of this sysctl in 2.2.5 you should ask John
> > Dyson - he's the person behind it.
> >

> Well, isn't there another way ? Could I make a very small RAM disk and
> tell FreeBSD to swap on it ? If yes _how_ can I make a RAM disk for 2.2.5 ?

I'm pretty sure this won't work the way you expect it to. If the VM
subsytem feels like it needs to swap out some pages, then it means it's
low on memory, i.e. it lacks the free pages. Given a constant amount of
RAM available, if you take some of it to make a RAM disk, this space will
be permamently lost to the VM subsystem, and consequently it will have
even less free pages to use, and it will start swapping much earlier.

So, using up some memory to create a RAM-based swap area makes things
worse, not better.

How can you make a RAM disk? Simple:

	mount_mfs -T minimum -s 4096 /dev/null /mnt

or something very similar...

Andrzej Bialecki