Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 00:11:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxp0 hangs on a PC164 using STABLE

>    I wonder - does the Alpha CPU have support for locked read-modify-write
> type operations? I'm thinking that perhaps that might be a better way to
> fix the problem.

Funny you should say that (see below) I'm a little unsure whether they
guarantee interlocks against I/O devices. Basically it allows you to set a
flag on an address and then later do a conditional store. If the lock is gone,
that adress was modified, and the conditional fails- so you can cycle back and
try again- kinda cool.