Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 23:03:04 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        cvs@mezzoforte.org
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Make World

On 9/28/00, 10:53:21 PM, cvs@mezzoforte.org wrote regarding Make=20
World:

> I recently cvsup'ped my source to the Current 5.0 version of FreeBSD. =
=20
> recompiled the kernel and did all of that jazz and ultimately decided =

I wanted
> to go back to 4.1.  So, I used CVSup to download the 4.1 release.  I=20
deleted
> the usr/obj directory and reissued the "make buildworld" command.  It =

went for
> a long time, but after a while it errored out with this message:

> Writing Makefile for DynaLoader
> mkdir /usr/obj/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/perl/lib/auto/DynaLoader
> perl -I/usr/obj/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/perl/lib -
> I/usr/obj/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/perl/lib -
> I/usr/obj/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/perl/lib -
> I/usr/obj/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/perl/lib DynaLoader_pm.PL=20
DynaLoader.pm
> Perl lib version (5.00503) doesn't match executable version (5.006)
> at /usr/obj/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/perl/lib/Config.pm line 7.
> Compilation failed in require at DynaLoader_pm.PL line 2.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at DynaLoader_pm.PL line 2.
> *** Error code 255

> Stop in /usr/obj/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/perl/ext/DynaLoader.
> *** Error code 1

> Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/perl.
> *** Error code 1

> Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl.
> *** Error code 1

> Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin.
> *** Error code 1

> Stop in /usr/src/gnu.
> *** Error code 1

> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1

> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1

> Stop in /usr/src.

> I thought perhaps that I had some old sources laying around, so I blew=
=20
away my
> entire src directory and re-downloaded it from CVS.  I deleted the=20
usr/obj
> directory, and did a make buildworld and came up with the EXACT SAME=20
ERROR!  I
> cannot figure this out.  Does anyone have any advice?

> Thanks,
> Justin

Justin,

CURRENT utilizes a different (more recent) version of perl (5.6.0).

AFAIR, this problem has already been reported to the list; AFAIR, Kris=20
Kennaway suggested wiping out all traces of perl before making the 4.x=20
buildworld.

N.B. I am NOT sure this will grant you success.

AFAIR, a few weeks ago, you had to downgrade such pieces as e.g.=20
binutils and gcc. You will have to check those items yourself. At any=20
rate, if something does go wrong, you have a clue ...

HTH,
Salvo