Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:57:18 -0800
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@savvis.net>
To:        "Edwin D. Vinas" <edwin_vinas@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Access internet in my Nokia phone via FreeBSD-5.3 Bluetooth

Edwin,

> I have a Nokia 3660 phone and a working FreeBSD-5.3
> Bluetooth system (i.e., can send/receive files). Now,
> I have to test if I can access Internet through the
> LAN through my FreeBSD PC through the Bluetooth
> connection.

let me get it straight. you want to use your freebsd box as gateway,
right? so your phone will act as a *client* and freebsd box will act as
a bluetooth access point, correct?

> My questions are:
> 1. Has anyone tried using Nokia3660 to access Internet
> via FreeBSD machine's bluetooth connection?

dont know

> 2. What are the Nokia phone models that can do
> Internet access in the LAN via bluetooth?

dont know

> 3. What are the required steps to configure my phone
> and my FreeBSD PC inorder to share internet access to
> my phone? I barely understand RFCOMM or PPP Dial-up
> which I think is the method being used for this.

as usual, if you want to provide bluetooth services on a freebsd box you
need to run sdpd(8). another thing you need to do is to run bluetooth
LAN (LAN Access Using PPP) profile daemon rfcomm_pppd(8). the purpose of
rfcomm_pppd(8) is to accept *incoming* rfcomm connection from the remote
bluetooth client (i.e. your phone) and then run ppp(8) on it. therefore
you need to prepare an entry in your /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file for the
remote bluetooth clients. please see rfcomm_pppd(8) and ppp(8) man pages
for examples.

so, the steps are

prepare 'rfcomm-client' section in your /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file.

# sdpd
# rfcomm_pppd -s -C 1 -l rfcomm-client
# sdpcontrol -l browse

you should see LAN service offered on freebsd box.

note: if your phone is symbian based you might need to add '-S' option
to rfcomm_pppd(8) command line. also for some phones you might need to
adjust chat script in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file.

max