Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 2002 12:34:08 -0600
From:      "Mike Avery" <mavery@myrealbox.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   BSD 4.6, X, and Savage IX w/MV woes

I'm trying to get my Toshiba 2755 laptop running with
FreeBSD 4.6.  Sadly, I bought this machine before I
was thinking about running FreeBSD on a laptop.

In any case, I can't find any drivers that get the
Savage IX w/MV working with X.  I've tried all the
reasonable sounding drivers that were included, and so
far all I get is a message that tells me something like,
"it seems the x-setup failed, would you like to try
again".

A check with (sorry) RedHat 7.3 on the machine shows
it thinks the video card is a S3 86C270-294 IX-MV (rev
11), in case that helps.  (Red Hat chokes on the Cisco
PCM340 Card in the laptop.  There is no joy in mudville.
While I'd rather have FreeBSD working on the machine,
my main goal is to get Microsoft OFF the machine.)

I'd appreciate any pointers, tips, or answers you can
share.  I've been rt'ing the fm, and cursing google until
my eyes cross.... so far, no joy.

Thanks,
Mike
--
Mike Avery
MAvery@mail.otherwhen.com

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
    Efficiency is a highly developed form of laziness.