Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 2002 08:20:40 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        phil.murphy@shaw.ca
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Downloading mp3 files (Really: how to find packages)

On Friday 15 March 2002 12:11 am, you wrote:
| I now have my sound card configured, and xmms loaded. I want to install
| something similar to Morpheus, Napster,... to use in FBSD 4.5. I have
| searched the ports page and google, but mainly come up with mp3
| players, converters, etc. Could someone please point me in the right
| direction? What sources of mp3 files do you use, or what program do you
| use to search for, and download, them?

Well, speaking personally, I don't.  If I was going to use MP3s I'd rip them
off my CDs.  If I didn't have CDs to rip them from, then clearly I don't
actually have the rights to that music, so I wouldn't download it.

But if you want to know what's available,

ls -d /usr/ports/*/*nap*  for various napstar-like ports ;  and ls -d
/usr/ports/*morph* for various morpheous-like ports.

You'll find both "napster" and "morpheous" ports there, though the FreeBSD
morpheous port is in the graphics section, which makes me suspect it's a
differnet morpheous entirely.

Once you find a port of possible interest, just read the "pkg-descr" file to
see if it's what you want.  I typically do something like

xvile /usr/ports/*/*<sometihng>*/pkg-descr

to pop up my favorite editor on the descriptions of all the ports that might
match what I want and read them until I figure out which one best suits my
needs.  If I nave no idea what the port name would be, I sometimes grep over
those files.

(In order to get rid of useless matches, I deleted all the foreign-language
port directories, and added them to my exclude list for cvsup.)

Once you find one that interests you, you can go to that directory and do
"make install" to build the port or you can install the package -- either
from your install disks or remotely with

pkg_add -r <package-name>

So even if you don't plan to actually build the port, the ports collection is
a useful database of avilable ports & packages.

Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                ME -->  http://www.babbleon.org
http://www.eff.org   <-- GOOD GUYS -->  http://www.programming-freedom.org