Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 2009 12:31:43 +0200
From:      Marten Vijn <info@martenvijn.nl>
To:        freebsd-embedded <freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org>
Subject:   wifi benchmark lab

hi all,

In perspective of the Network Event Kit (NEK)
(http://bsd.wifisoft.org/nek) I am building a benchmark setup for wlan
on embedded systems.

It is setup to benchmark one ap with multiple clients. Now I have 6
working clients. But as soon pxeboot and boot0(sio) do work again for
net4826 and wrap and Alix1c it can raise to 12 now and later up to 20 or
clients. Since the project has founding from NLnet.nl we have budget to
buy more ap's.

First I want to collect:
- good hardware to build accesspoints.
- additional ideas of building a good setup.

Currently I use it to test:
- embedded FreeBSD (nanobsd and tinybsd) on 7.x and 8.0
- hardware to select for the NEK (and publish)

My first findings:
- DOS situations is easy created using udp and dbs
- 7.1 release of Oct 2008 give problems. (ath0: ath_rx_proc: no
mbuf!)(see crash reports below)
- a lot unexpected, hard to define data from measurements. (help wanted)
- recent 7.1 7.2 8.0 are fairly stable (udp/tcp tests) on a net4521 and
a prism based wlancard.

Background:
http://bsd.wifisoft.org/trac/wiki/NEK
http://bsd.wifisoft.org/trac/wiki/wireless_benchmark

Crash Reports:
http://bsd.wifisoft.org/trac/wiki/crash1
http://bsd.wifisoft.org/trac/wiki/crash2

Status and progress:
Current show blocker is failing boot pxe|0|0sio on recent 7.1 7.2. 8
versions of freebsd on:
- ALIX 1C
- WRAP 2E
- NET4826

If have posted a pr for this:

So I hope it will be fixed.

If want to get involved pls let me know. Needed knowlegde:
- ip tcp udp benchmarking
- driver improvements
- data collection and analysis

Kind regards,