Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 2000 13:48:07 +0200
From:      Thor Legvold <tlegvold@c2i.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Upgrade questions

I've reinstalled after fixing the nasty partition overlap that somehow
occured during my previous install - Windows and FreeBSD didn't like too =
much
sharing several hundred megabites of file systems where the two partition=
actually overlapped each other - oops!

All seems stable, I've restored the files I managed to save and have only=
 done
some simple configuration of the existing install to make things more liv=
able.
So far the system seems very responsive and useable, although certain ele=
ments
of the KDE system just don't work for me.

I'd now like to consider upgrading and have several questions about it. M=
upgrading relates to four areas:

1. 3.3-RELEASE (actually I think I already upp'ed it to -STABLE) to 4.0-R=
ELEASE
(or possibly -STABLE if it exists). I understand that all I need to do is
download the boot floppies, reboot and use /stand/sysinstall to choose
"upgrade" and everything goes automatically via ftp. I've done it once be=
fore
and it seemed to work well, except for the partition glitch mentioned abo=
ve. I
didn't change (knowingly) partition information (it was after all an upgr=
ade,
not a new install) so I  imagine the problem was there from before. Are t=
here
other things I should know about 4.0 before I upgrade? 4.0 is an improvem=
ent
over 3.3, right...? Or should I instead go with 3.4? There are so many ve=
rsions
available it's difficult to know what is the mainstream basically stable
version eveyone uses - there is 3.3, 3.4, 4.0, 2.8, etc, all with "stable=
" (or
at least "release") status. From my experience with other Unix systems, u=
sually
the latest (non-developmental) version is the most stable (bug fixes,
optimizing of code, etc), i.e. the latest "release". Does that apply also=
FreeBSD?

2. XFree86 3.3.4 - XFree86 3.3.6 or possibly the new 4.0 that just came o=
ut (if
I recall correctly). Should I remove the 3.3.4 package and reinstall the =
newer
version, or can I install over the old to preserve my settings? Should on=
e use
the ports/packages collection directly, go via /stand/sysinstall (which
basically seems to do the same thing, but is automated) or compile from s=
ource?

3. KDE 1.1.1 - KDE 1.1.2 - much of the same questions apply here, and it
requires several packages that aren't in 3.3 (or 4.0 I beleive, Mesa, QT,=
 some
other stuff). When I try to install the newer packages they conflict with=
 other
installed stuff. Should I remove older versions before installing newer o=
nes,
or can one "upgrade" by simply installing over the old install (I notice =
that
pkg_info then reports several versions, and it might make removing one la=
ter
impossible if they have common files....). When trying to remove older ve=
rsions
I get messages about other packages requiring them, and the removal is ab=
orted.
I could force removal, but wouldn't that mess up the dependency informati=
on?
Even after I reinstall a newer version?

4. General upgrading of non-system components (programs, libraries, etc)
For example, Netscape Communicator 4.61 to 4.72 or newer, AbiWord 0.5.5 t=
0.7.6, etc. Should one uninstall the exisiting package/port before instal=
ling
the newer one, or simply install over the old one? Some programs (either =
ports,
packages or free standing dists) require newer (or different) versions of
certain libraries, toolkits, etc. Should one go ahead and upgrade this as=
 well,
or install it in parallell to the older version? It seems the system comp=
onents
only end up less and less in sync with each other that way.

Thanks in advance (please cc: a reply to my email if you reply to the lis=
t)
Thor