Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2001 22:18:46 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Tony Maher <tonym@biolateral.com.au>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make buildkernel dies...

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 03:53:01PM +1100, Tony Maher wrote:
> > > I get the same problem.  I did
> > > mv /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/<KERNEL> /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/<KERNEL>.old
> > > and rebuilt.  Now make kernel works fine.
> >
> > Always,
> >
> >   # rm -rf /usr/obj/usr
> >
> > Before you build(world|kernel) after updating source code.
>
> rm -rf /usr/obj/usr can be useful if there are problems but I think always
> is a bit strong.
> If it was an absolute requirement then shouldn't the make process do this
> by default?  (and have a flag not to do it for those who really know what they
> are doing)

It's not an absolute requirement. Just like keeping world and kernel
in sync, it's really only an issue if you have updated your source
code.

> The handbook notes (refering to rm /usr/obj):
>
> "You can speed up the ``make world'' process, and possibly save yourself
> some dependency headaches by removing this directory as well."

The original problem was such a dependency headache.

> But it does not read as an absolute requirement.

Definately not.

> Should the handbook be changed?  And maybe note this requirement in
> /usr/src/UPDATING?

Perhaps the handbook should be a little more clear about dependency
problems. Maybe a section on what to do with buildworld problems:

  # rm -rf /usr/obj/usr
  # cd /usr/src; make cleandir && make cleandir
  # make buildworld <your options here>

And if it fails again, _then_ mail -stable or -questions.