Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2002 12:14:26 +1300
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
To:        Alain Fabry <alainfabry@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XDM on xserver (on windows2000 machine)

On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 10:34:08PM +0100, Alain Fabry wrote:

> I have a win2000 system running xwinpro allowing xdmcp. This system is connected via the network to a FreeBSD box. I only have one monitor.
> When I start an xsession on the win2k machine, telnet to the FreeBSD box, do a 'setenv DISPLAY win2k:0.0' and 'xdm', I get the login screen on my xsession.
>
> Question:
> What do I have to add to the ttys file to make this automatically start xdm via the network to this win2k system?
>
> Does the following look correct?
> /ttyp0  /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodeamon   xterm  on secure

No. On my box, there's a line that looks like this:

    ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on  secure

That's the one you should change.

If you only 1 monitor and none on the FreeBSD host, you also have to tweak
/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers and comment out the:

    :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X

so that xdm doesn't attempt to start an Xserver on the FreeBSD host
when it starts up.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>