Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 13:07:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
Cc:        Phillip Salzman <psalzman@gamefish.pcola.gulf.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: newer gcc?

On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Phillip Salzman wrote:
>
> > > Has there been any thought to jumping to a newer version of gcc,
> > > specifically egcs?
> >
> > 	Doesn't egcs require an ELF filetype?  Currently many people
> > are still a.out.  I'm sure it will change in the future.
>
> Well i only brought this up again for 2 reasons, as i know it has been
> discussed to death in the past, however with the move to ELF and perl5 i
> thought... what the hell :)
>
> Anyhow:
>
> a) egcs is a bit more improved than gcc in terms of c++ support, and more
> features/optimizations.
>
> b) i thought the move to elf was so that we _could_ better use the newer
> GNU tools.
>
> The reason i was asking is that i may bmake it and stick it into my tree,
> if i can produce a "release" build using it maybe people would show more
> interest.

This gets brought up about twice a year, forever.  Please search the
mail archives for endless rehashing of this old bone.  There are very
good reasons to *require* a certain amount of stability to FreeBSD's
compiler, these reasons haven't changed a bit, and aren't likely to.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).