Date:      Sat, 7 Sep 2002 18:54:24 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Frank Heitmann <fh31415@gmx.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Basic mail and Sendmail problem

On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 06:29:40PM +0200, Frank Heitmann wrote:
> >When I know try to send a mail to 'userone' with 'mail -v userone'
> >I get the following error (same error in /var/spool/clientmqueue):
> >userone... Connecting to localhost.mydomain. via relay...
> >userone... Deferred: Connection refused by localhost.mydomain.
>
> One more thing to add: This works fine, when I am connected to my ISP.
> So this might be a problem with DNS configuration?

Yeah.  Sounds like exactly that.  Sendmail pretty much insists on
unfettered access to the DNS, which makes running it on a dialup a bit
of a trial.

It may be possible to make local delivery work without having to dial
up by running named yourself --- you would want it to be mostly a
cacheing server for general purpose use by your machine, but also you
should make it serve the 'mydomain' zone: make sure you put in an MX
record for your mail server.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way