Date:      Mon, 04 Sep 2000 08:24:16 -0700
From:      Phil Staub <phils@staub.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   DSLl and ssh questions

I'm running a FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE system (Pentium-166) connected
through a PicoBSD 3.4 firewall (AMD 486DX4-100).

The 4.1 system is a dual homed host, serving as a gateway to a mixture
of Windoze and other FreeBSD boxes. It has an NE2000 clone on the
local network side and an Intel Pro 10/100B/100+ on the firewall side.

The firewall machine has a RealTek 8139 on the inside and a NE2000
clone on the DSL side. The DSL modem is a Cisco 675 in bridging
mode. The firewall ruleset currently has 18 rules, and is providing
NAT translation for the inside network.

I recently switched from cable modem to DSL (got tired of @Home's
outages and other limitations), and started seeing relatively frequent
long pauses (sometimes 15 seconds or more) during an interactive ssh
session with a remote host. I'll type a few characters and all will be
well, then the next few will not be echoed for a long time. Nothing is
lost, it just takes a very long time to echo the characters and
respond. Also, if I'm editing a file on the remote machine, screen
updates sometimes pause for similar periods. Oddly enough, if I try
the same thing over an insecure connection (e.g., via telnet), I still
occasionally get delays, but they are very short compared to what I'm
seeing with an ssh connection. Also, pinging an outside host from
inside for an extended time results in between 10% and 15% dropped
packets. Going the other way (pinging the machine behind my
firewall/NAT machine) gives similar results.

Trying to understand what may be happening, I captured an scp session
with tcpdump into a file and then started printing out what I captured
with different options, and I also looked at the overall session
statistics with tcptrace.

Two things stand out:

1. tcpdump reports a *lot* of truncated incoming packets. When a
packet is received truncated, it is almost immediately received
again. Often, this retransmitted packet is still truncated, but has
fewer bytes missing, until eventually the entire packet is received.

2. The tcptrace -l report is consistent with item 1: out of 993351 bytes
sent in 695 packets, 562 packets containing 812437 bytes were
retransmitted packets. The connection in the other direction is not
nearly as bad (though since this was a file copy from the remote
machine to the local one, there was not nearly as much traffic this
way): out of 483 bytes sent in 10 packets, 1 packet containing 1 byte
was retransmitted.

Also, tcptrace reports 561 hardware duplicates on the down link and
none on the uplink.

Clearly something is *very* wrong. I'm a bit suspicious of the RealTek
NIC in the firewall, but I was noticing similar problems when I was
initially setting up the DSL without the firewall machine in the line
(though I wasn't set up to take the tcpdump/tcptrace measurements at
that point).

Three questions: 1) Is this *really* typical DSL behavior, 2) if not,
where do I go next to track this down, and 3) if the RealTek NIC is
suspect, would a 3com 3C905C-TX-M that came with the DSL modem
installation package be a reasonable alternative?

I've already been on the phone with USWest (the DSL provider, though
I'm not using them as an ISP), and they told me how to change the
signal level on the wire to reduce the error counts at the DSL modem
level to a pretty acceptable number (well under 1%). But I have to
think there is something else going on here. I'd appreciate any
insight that anyone can offer to shed some light and help me figure
out who I should talk to to get this straightened out.

Thanks,
Phil
--
Phil Staub, KE7HC