Date:      Sun, 31 Aug 2003 14:47:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: gdk-pixbuf has indirect gettext dependency

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> On Sat, 2003-08-30 at 22:43, Doug Barton wrote:
> > Howdy,
> >
> > I was doing the gettext dance on one of my systems today, and discovered
> > that gdk-pixbuf has an indirect dependency on gettext, seemingly
> > inherited through gtk. So the following procedure:
> >
> > install a bunch of stuff
> > gettext is updated, and bumps .so version number
> > uninstall gettext, glib, gtk
> > reinstall above
> > try to run any app linked with gdk-pixbuf   *BOOM*
>
> This is why I recommended people do a portupgrade -rf -m BATCH=yes

That's a circular argument... "Things are difficult, so use
portupgrade." "We don't want to make things simpler, because portupgrade
exists to let you do complex things." Not to mention those of us who
don't use portupgrade....

> > The solution seems to be adding a direct dependency on gettext in
> > gdk-pixbuf's Makefile. This should be a no-op in the clean build case,
> > since gtk requires gettext too.
>
> There are a _lot_ of such ports.  Adding explicit dependencies to all
> ports will be messy and time-consuming.

Well, I'm not suggesting that you do it for all of them... but by the
same token, couldn't you do something magical with the gtk stuff to make
this explicit? That'd catch most of the dramatic foot-shooting cases
right there.

As for messy, sorry, I don't buy that one. The only time adding the
explicit dependency actually makes a difference is in the upgrade case,
which is where you need it most.

Doug