Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 1997 02:34:03 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tony Kimball <Anthony.Kimball@East.Sun.COM>
To:        brianc@pobox.com
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sb16 request

Quoth Brian Campbell on Fri, 25 July:
: ...However, in the case of the SB16, the ioctl would have to
: fail.  Or claim success and not actually change the sample size of
: either the record/playback channel.  The question would then be,
: which channel actually got changed?

I would prefer, as Randall Hopper's post suggested, to think of the
ioctl as changing the data stream from 8-bit to 16-bit.  Let the
driver interface abstract away from the hardware.  When only 8-bit is
supported in hardware, extend it.  When only 16-bit is supported in
hardware, round it.

When two descriptors are being used, there is no ambiguity, and
the programmer has perfect control.  If Luigi does produce a driver
which supports two descriptors, this resolves the problem of
which channel to allocate, for the programmer can issue the ioctls
to each descriptor independently.

I think the only way to provide the ability to control the allocation,
i.e. to change it from default, in the single-descriptor interface is
to extend the interface.  That would be nice, but I think that having
a duplex capability is the first step: I shan't worry about getting
desert until the entre is on the table.