Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 09:16:33 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Rasmus Skaarup <rasmus@gal.dk>
To:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@internetcds.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum and superblocks.

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, Soren Schmidt wrote:

> It seems Jaye Mathisen wrote:
> >
> > I have 8 75GB IBM drives striped in a big raid 0 for monkeying with.
> >
> > newfs -i 131072 -v /dev/vinum/bighonkindisk seems to very nicely put all
> > the data that newfs write out on to the first disk...  It least, only the
> > first disk gets any io, accoring to systat and iostat.
>
> You need to adjust your stripe size so that the superblocks etc are
> not all put on the same disk, ie some odd stripe size is often best
> to distribute those to hopefully all disks...

By 'odd', you mean small, Søren? If this is the case, be careful not to
make the size too small, which will degrade the perfomance because of the

Jaye, are you sure you doing a large (preferrebly at least one
GB) sequential read or write from/to your disks? If you are only doing
small random I/O, this could result in only one disk getting hit.

But it does sound strange that when making the filsystem, only the first
disk gets initialized.. Are you positively sure about this? The size of
the vinum volume corresponds to approx 8 * 75GB ?

Best regards
Rasmus