Date:      Sun, 30 Oct 2005 03:49:26 -0800
From:      "Shawn Saunders" <saundersconsult@hotmail.com>
To:        "Gleb Smirnoff" <glebius@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        dionch@freemail.gr, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Trying to make a Host into a gigabit hub for testing

Gleb,

Can you clarify then, the difference between the on2many and hub modules?

Based upon the names, I would consider the one2many to do exactly that, take
anything from 'one' and redirect it out to anything identified by 'many?'

I would also think that hub would behave exactly as a hub, introducing
collisions, etc, within the shared namespace of the environment for hub.

I do have some further questions.

At what level is the redirection happening, specifically, is this happening
in the driver on the NIC?  Or are the packets being brought from the NIC
into the kernel on the host, and then retransmitted out the NIC on the other
port?  Just currious.

I am hoping to be running an interesting environment for about 20 days, and
at the end of that, I hope to have some interesting real-life metrics, that
I will be happy to share with the rest of you.

Shawn