Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 14:20:22 -0600
From:      mikea <mikea@mikea.ath.cx>
To:        Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Error in make buildworld

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 02:12:38PM -0600, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> mikea wrote:

> > This is a known difficulty with multiple make threads. Note that
> > I do _NOT_ call it a problem. It is caused by a thread that
> > needs <foo> getting to the part that expects <foo> to have been
> > built before the thread that actually builds <foo> gets to the
> > build-foo code. I have found that I frequently can reissue the
> > same command and <foo> will get built before it is required by
> > something in another thread, and the make will run to completion
> > the second time.

> But shouldn't the make wait until the first thread finishes before
> starting the dependent thread?
>
> (But I guess if the computer is really fast, it doesn't matter if you
> don't have -j4.  make buildworld takes 45 minutes on the "fast"
> machine.)

I haven't noticed that thread synchronization (if make does any)
is particularly good for -j 4 or bigger. I have seen that -j 4 is
safe on my 2xPIII-866 system, and that -j 8 or larger will fail
from time to time because of dependencies not being satisfied.

I'm running 4.5-RC1, with UDMA-66 disks and 1GB of RAM, and it
runs like a scalded ape, but sometimes make just falls over dead
because it needs <foo> and <foo>'s not built yet.

Maybe someone with more knowledge can discuss thread synch issues
in make, or provide some URLs. I'd like to know more.

--
Mike Andrews
mikea@mikea.ath.cx