Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 00:00:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Chris Timmons <skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, luoqi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS: likely problem is vfs_bio.c rev 1.188

:On the server I downgraded vfs_bio.c to rev 1.187 & rebooted; no luck.  I
:then installed the same kernel (with the downgraded vfs_bio.c) to the
:client.  Bingo.  With both NFS client & server machine running rev 1.187,
:the problem so far as building XFree86-contrib from an NFS mounted
:/usr/ports disappears.
:
:As Chuck Robey noted, it seems like the client's writes are not completely
:being committed to the server, which results in partially baked files
:which are truncated.
:
:Unfortunately -r1.188 -r1.187 doesn't apply cleanly, so there's some work
:to be done by Eivind to adapt his subsequent commits if we were to say,
:back out 1.188 prior to the branch.
:
:-Chris

    Hmm.  r1.88 are Luoqi's fixes to the handling of misaligned buffers.  It is
    quite possible that there is a bug in there or with assumptions made in
    the NFS code in regards to how buffers are handled, but most of those
    changes are theoretically critical to the proper operation of the VFS code
    on other platforms (aka alpha, with its larger page size), and pretty
    important to the msdos code too under certain circumstances.  And it was
    reviewed pretty well, too.  I'd rather we not lose the work.

    I think it is important that we find the bug and fix it without having
    to back-out that entire patch!  I was hoping to avoid updating my
    codebase until after the split, but I'll go ahead and try to sync it up
    tonight and see if I can reproduce the NFS problem.  If I can do that,
    I should be able to locate the bug and fix it.

    So, nobody backout 1.188 yet, please.

					-Matt

					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>