Date:      Fri, 6 Jan 2006 14:36:13 +0100
From:      Simon Barner <barner@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Anish Mistry <mistry.7@osu.edu>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Firefox calling kse_release rapidly

--qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS

Anish Mistry wrote:
> 	I've got a funny problem with firefox.  It runs fine browsing and=20
> such, but when I open the Preferences dialog the application takes a=20
> few seconds to load the window and clicking on the different tabs is=20
> slow.  If I click the downloads tab it takes 10-15 seconds to switch=20
> to it and if I then click to edit/view the file associations the new=20
> window takes ~3 minutes to load and operates _very_ slowly.  All the=20
> while the CPU is pegged at 100%.

I think I see similiar behaviour with firefox-1.5,1 on
FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE #2: Thu Jan  5 13:34:50 CET 2006

I thought about updating to firefox-1.5_5,1, but since it seems to have the
same problem, I'll postpone that.

The problem seems to be provoked when any firefox dialogue is opened, i.e.
"save as", ...

> Running truss on the process I repeatedly and rapidly get the=20
> following:
> kse_release(0x8064f44)                           =3D 0 (0x0)

Confirmed.

>=20
> I've got a ktrace log while firefox seems to be spinning it's wheels=20
> with the above:
> http://am-productions.biz/docs/firefox-ktrace.log.gz
> http://am-productions.biz/docs/make.conf
> http://am-productions.biz/docs/dmesg.boot
>=20
> I'm running 6.0-RELEASE with firefox-1.5_5,1 compiled from the ports. =20

--=20
Best regards / Viele Gr=FC=DFe,                             barner@FreeBSD.=
org
 Simon Barner                                                barner@gmx.de