Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 06:59:27 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass), jobe@attrition.org (Jobe), nbm@mithrandr.moria.org (Neil Blakey-Milner), dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon), freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, nik@FreeBSD.ORG (Nik Clayton)
Subject:   Re: Documentation of security features

> > At 10:31 AM 9/19/99 -0600, Jobe wrote:
> >
> Now there is one more problem, and that is what I think is really
> going on here with the person reporting non-linked files.  They are
> looking in /usr/share/man/cat* at the formatted cache, now that can
> grow as man(1)'s cache can't tell if the source files are hard linked
> and generates an individual formatted copy for each man entry, even
> if it already has it filed under another name.

I forgot about that point.  I've been thinking about re-working
man and whatis to try and eliminate the need for MLINKS.
Everything that man & whatis require SHOULD be in the actual
man page.  There is no reason we need to use the file system
as a database.  .../man/cat* is another good example of this.

(Sheldon, I will get back to you on this in the next
few days, I promose :-)

> > >People need to start posting more meaningful things, and stop
> > >inventing reasons to post to this mailing list.
> >
> > Documenting key security options is meaningful, IMHO. If nothing
> > else, we should add links for securelevel and similar things that
> > users are not finding.
>
> Then go make ptx(info) produce the full blown permuted index again
> and be done with it.  That is the standard unix tool for finding
> just about everything about anything in the manual pages.  It has
> been missing for far to long to ignore any longer!!

I should have some time this week, so I'll try and look into the
permuted index.  It should be possible to make that into
something "man" can digest.  E.g. "man index".

-Mike
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@FreeBSD.org or mpp@mpp.pro-ns.net