Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 19:01:14 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Don Wilde <Don@Silver-Lynx.com>, Anders Nordby <anders@fix.no>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, core@daemonnews.org
Subject:   Re: [dn-core] Re: Perens' "Free Software Leaders Stand Together"

Your MUA makes its own, incorrect decisions about line breaks.

On Thursday, 17 May 2001 at 21:56:29 -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> On  Thursday, May 17, 2001 6:59 PM, Greg Lehey wrote:

>>> He says quite clearly that he is focusing on GPL. That's his right.
>>> There's nothing stopping us from doing likewise. He obviously believes
>>> the GPL is a "better" license. Perhaps we can ask Chris Coleman to add a
>>> page to DaemonNews.org with a simple PHP/MySQL sign-up so that we can
>>> _all_ add our signatures and e-mails to such a letter. Come to think of
>>> it, this would probably be a great way to tell how many users *BSD
>>> actually has...
>>
>> *sigh* Bruce seems to be apprehensive about our reaction.  In his
>> words, we should "stand together", not set up our own reaction.  I've
>> replied to the thread in this vein.
>
> As well he should be.  Remember, Bruce is the person who explicitly
> recommended _against_ developers using the BSD license, when he
> originally copyrighted the term "Open Source".  It wasn't until the
> Regents of the University of California explictly stated that the
> UCB copyright didn't need to be displayed that Bruce couldn't find
> any more excuses to recommend against the BSD license, and changed
> the recommendations to be more neutral.

What's wrong in that?  I'm a little surprised how much the advertising
clause worried the GPL faction, but then I'm very surprised how much
the GPL worries the BSD faction.

> The real issues go a lot deeper and if you go back several years in
> history you can see what is going on.  Simply put, the so-called
> "leaders of the GPL" movement are engaged in a war of words and in
> media manipulation in an attempt to equate "Free Software" and "Open
> Source" directly with the GPL.

2 years ago esr showed me the draft of a book he was writing.  It
doesn't seem to have come out, or at least I haven't seen it.  He
compared free software licenses, and explicitly stated that the BSD
license was the freest of all.

> They do NOT like the BSD license, and particularly don't like
> FreeBSD, (both because FreeBSD is the flagship of the BSD license,

Saying things like that will alienate not only the GPL people, but
also the other BSDs.

> and because FreeBSD uses the term "Free" in it's name thus causing
> problems for their little doublespeak game of attempting to equate
> GPL and Open Source)

I don't think they're that naive.

> Basically, what has happened is that Bruce and his friends (the
> signatories on the list of that article are a who's who of them)
> have literally made millions of dollars out of in effect convincing
> a bunch of developers to GPL their code, then those Open Source
> people have set themselves up in the only point in the GPL code
> distributon scheme (the nexus points) where it's possible to make a
> lot of money.

You're putting it as if they were a united front.  They are not.  The
three I know (rms, esr and Tim O'Reilly) all have very different
viewpoints on the issue.  rms and esr have both repeatedly stated:

a: The BSD license is good ("but the GPL is better").
b: (esr): "Free Software" is a term which just doesn't fly.
   (rms): "Open Source" is a betrayal of everything free software
   stands for.

> VA Linux, Red Hat, and all of those distributors, all of their
> business models are the same - at one end they suck in GPL code and
> at the other end spit out finished UNIX-like distributions, and make
> money doing it.

They're not making money doing it.  They're *trying* to make money
doing it.

> Notice that I said they suck in GPL code - they don't really have
> interest in pointing their suckers at BSD code.

Yes they do.  At least Red Hat does.  But they have enough problems
now without getting involved with another set.

> For their business models to continue to work, they must continue to
> convince an ever-larger number of Open Source developers to write
> GPL code.

Why?

> In the BSD arena, the money-making is a lot different.  The people
> in BSD making millions are doing it by including BSD code in
> finished products.  In our world, the things that matter are
> finished products like Whistler

Whistle.

> Interjet, and the embedded stuff that Wind River is doing, because
> those projects untimately spew code back into the BSD distribution.

My understanding from Wind River is that their interest in FreeBSD is
of a different nature.  I'm not at liberty to say how, but this
statement doesn't match.

> In BSD-land, you don't have people making millions of dollars
> primariarly off of repackaging the BSD distribution.

You don't in Linux-land either.  That's why the Linux companies are
going broke.

> The GPL people see folks like Microsoft rightly as their antithesis
> - but the fact that Microsoft themselves uses a fair bit of BSD code
> _themselves_ in their own products isn't lost on the Linux people.

It is on most of them.  And I think it's pretty irrelevant myself.

> So, you can see why GPL is very uneasy with BSD.  They see the GPL
> as in direct opposition to commercial software license.  They see
> the BSD license as not being in direct opposition to commercial
> software, and in fact they see that there is a symbiosis between BSD
> and commercial software, even between BSD and Microsoft, if you can
> believe it.  Take the Hotmail situation for example - where do you
> think that Microsoft got all THE IDEAS to stuff into Windows 2K to
> enable it to REPLACE FreeBSD?  Certainly NOT by studying Linux, I
> can tell you that.

You just need to look at the way they did it to know they also didn't
get the ideas from BSD UNIX.

> Instead, Microsoft spent years studying the BSD way of doing things,
> looked at the new web technologies like PHP and so on that were
> coming down the pike, and emulated those in Win2K.

I can't see any evidence of this.

> So, it's kind of a "friend of my enemy is my enemy" What I see in
> the future, is I see Microsoft porting MS Office to MacOS X - which
> is a hell of a lot closer to BSD then it is to Linux.  I also see
> that as Microsoft continues to build the case against GPL and
> propgandize against it, that they are increasingly going to be
> holding up BSD as the "right" way to do Open Source.  No wonder that
> the Linux GPL people are drawing the line in the sand now between
> BSD and GPL.  They see the future and they know that ultimately, the
> GPL is just as "un-free" as a closed source license like
> Microsoft's.  Increasingly, their aims and goals are going to be
> different than ours.

Certainly if we take your viewpoint.  You've made a lot of claims
there, but I don't see much substantiation, and the viewpoints are
very different from what I've experienced first-hand.  I work with
some leading Linux people, and while there are many things I don't
like about Linux, I can't see anything like what you're claiming here.

In addition, I don't see any suggestions from you about what to do
about the situation.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.