Date:      Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:03:29 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@tumbolia.com>
To:        JannaDanRich <house@lvcm.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Please Help .. moron at wheel .. oops no, don't even have that acct

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, JannaDanRich wrote:

:ok, only one user configured, changing shell
:and I didn't double check my typing .. I have no
:shell for my root user now.. how do I get in to effect
:changes to passwd?

CTRL-ALT-DELETE should reboot the machine cleanly.  When you get the
"Booting kernel in 10 seconds, press any key..." prompt, press a key.
Type boot -s, which will boot you single user mode.  It will prompt you for
a shell, press return.  Do this:

# fsck
# mount -a
# vipw  (and fix your shell problem. )
# exit  (and the machine will boot multi-user

David

--
dscheidt@tumbolia.com
Bipedalism is only a fad.