Date:      Sun, 3 May 1998 09:16:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Roddie Hasan <roddie@krweb.net>
Cc:        "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -current and Gimp .99.28.

On Sun, 3 May 1998, Roddie Hasan wrote:

> > > Updated my sources, built a kernel and made world this morning, and now
> > > when I run Gimp .99.28,get the splash screen, then I get a blank tips
> > > dialog and toolbar and the following message:
> > >
> > Don't run the current kernel.  Run a kernel as of 20-Apr.
>
> <sigh> I do have an older kernel backed up, but I hadn't compiled scanner
> support until the current build.. Figures.. :)
>
> Assuming it's a known problem, any idea when it'll be remedied?

I just saw this, it's possible it might be what John thinks, but this
same, exact thing happens every time you try to update gimp without
being very thorough about erasing the previous gimp before building the
new one.  Just doing a pkg_delete is *not* good enough.  You have to get
rid of every possible vestige of gimp, in various places, including any
.gimprc directories, any places in /usr/local or /usr/X11R6, stuff like
that.  The problem is a very enthusiastic configuration script that gimp
uses.  Go back over your system, be *extremely* certain that all the old
gimp is off your system, then build the new one, it'll work.

> Roddie

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).