Date:      Sun, 16 Jun 2002 08:55:06 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        budsz <budsz@kumprang.or.id>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: About partition FreeBSD

On Saturday, 15 June 2002 at 14:58:02 +0700, budsz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yesterday I was setup FreeBSD in my friend's machine. so he want make
> partition like:
> /
> /usr
> /var
> /mp3
> /data
> /source
> /www
> /ftp
> /mail
>
> so in cfdisk if i create more that 7 partition, display like /x bla..bla
> I checked di /dev for
>
> $ls /dev/dev/ad0s1[a-z]
> /dev/ad0s1a     /dev/ad0s1c     /dev/ad0s1e     /dev/ad0s1g
> /dev/ad0s1b     /dev/ad0s1d     /dev/ad0s1f     /dev/ad0s1h
>
> I counted partitions in FreeBSD only can mount until "h", how if I want
> create partition more than 12 partition maybe (like openbsd's cfdisk)...?,
> this is happened the first booting with CD.

Well, I'd be really interested to know why you think you need so many
partitions.  It's just an invitation to run out of space in one
partition and have plenty in another, and to create a rats nest of
directory symlinks.  If you really want to do it, though, you have two
choices:

1.  Use Vinum and create as many file systems as you want.
2.  Create additional slices and put the file systems on them.

Note that you can't use the c partition for file systems, and it's
good practice to use the b partition only for swap space.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.