Date:      Sun, 24 Oct 2004 14:51:18 -0400
From:      Brian Bobowski <bbobowski@cogeco.ca>
To:        John Adams <jadams01@sprynet.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD User Questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: First cvsup in sometime, and now I'm hosed

John Adams wrote:

> Hi, folks,
>
>     I ran a cvsup against my supfile, then a portupgrade -a, and now
> I'm hosed. For starts, ruby is complaining about an insecure version
> of OpenSSL, and will not install, leaving me without, well, portupgrade.
>
>     What have I done to myself, and how do I recover? Is this, by
> Hobson's choice, a good time to upgrade from 4.9? What should I
> provide to help tell what's going on with my box?
>
> All the best,
>
>     John A

Other people have mentioned what needs to be done in future(reading
/usr/*/UPDATING and portupgrade syntax). For now, you're probably going
to need to get your hands dirty: go to OpenSSL in the ports tree, do a
"make install" there, try again with Ruby... Basically, try to make the
new version of portupgrade, and whenever it complains about a different
port, go and fix it; you may need to do more than a few "make deinstall
&& make reinstall" to deal with version changes.

Also, you could try pkg_add -r [portname] for some of these to cut down
compile time at least until you can get portupgrade back.

-BB