Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2001 16:22:00 +0100
From:      Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net>
To:        "Chuck T." <freebsdfan@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CPU fan control on laptops ?

A while ago I wrote some tools to control the hardware on my Toshiba
Portege 3110CT. They are based on the Toshiba linux toolkits.
(I was trying to get support for hibernating and while being there wrote
these programs)

I don't know if they work on your machine but its worth a try.

Get it at: http://www.ripe.net/home/mark/files/tosh_fan.tgz

Let me know if it works for you.

If there is interest for it I can pack things up a little bit more and
release it. It's basicly an interface to the SCI/HCI registers that
control the hardware.

Mark

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 06:48:01AM -0800, Chuck T. wrote:
> I recently installed FreeBSD 4.4 on my Toshiba 440CDT laptop. The keyboard
> cover becomes quite warm after running for a few minutes. Under WinDoze the
> CPU fan speed varies depending on the CPU temperature.  Apparently this is a
> software function, as I don't think the fan is coming on under FreeBSD.  Is
> there something I need to configure to get the fan to come on ?  I've
> searched the handbook and mailing lists, but I didn't find any mention of
> this issue.
>
> Thanks !

Mark Santcroos				RIPE Network Coordination Centre
http://www.ripe.net/home/mark/		New Projects Group/TTM