Date:      Fri, 1 Oct 2004 15:32:34 -0400
From:      Wesley Shields <wxs@csh.rit.edu>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   ifconfig question

Per a message about a month ago[1] I recently started some work on
adding a -v flag to ifconfig.  I've been able to get the index number
and epoch as those are exposed to userland, but both the dname and dunit
are in an ifnet struct which AFAIK is not visible.  I initially thought
you might be able to get them through an ioctl but that is not the case.

Unless I'm mistaken I'd have to either move the parts I would like to
see to the if_data struct (which is visible through a sysctl()), or make
them visible through an ioctl.

Am I correct in thinking that these are the only way to go about this
problem, and if so which way is the best way?

If neither of them are a wanted solution then any suggestions you have
would be helpful, otherwise I guess I'm just barking up the wrong tree
here.  :)

-- WXS

[1]: http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2004-September/004964.html