Date:      Tue, 5 Jan 1999 13:02:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
To:        Joe Abley <jabley@clear.co.nz>
Cc:        Benedikt Stockebrand <bs_13969_50203@adimus.de>, Yani Brankov <ian@bulinfo.net>, "Stephen J. Roznowski" <sjr@home.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why is root's crontab different?

On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Joe Abley wrote:

> Turning your argument around, if it _is_ desirable to have crontabs available
> with a minimal number of filesystems mounted, why not move /var/cron to
> /etc/cron and dispense with /etc/crontab? It's not as if crontabs are so
> variably-sized to really merit living in /var.

In fact, we're about to do that in NetBSD. The log file (previously
in /var/cron/log) will be moved to /var/log/cron.

The reasoning behind this is that crontabs are one of the few
`permanent' pieces of information in /var. If you lose var you lose
at jobs, mail, various queued stuff (uucp, printer, etc.), it's
true. But if you just drop in /var from the distribution sets, your
system should still keep running as it did before in the long run.
So moving the cron jobs out means you don't *have* to back up var
in the way that you *have* to back up /etc.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org