Date:      Sat, 18 Mar 2006 13:41:25 -0600
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: System administration question

--On March 18, 2006 8:19:02 PM +0100 Martin Hudec <corwin@aeternal.net>
wrote:

> Paul Schmehl wrote:
>> Is there a port or utility that allows you to monitor system stats by
>> (either interactively or periodically) reading the various stat
>> utilities (fstat, iostat, pstat or swapinfo, systat, top, vmstat, etc.)
>> and sending a report to root that summarizes system condition?
>
> I am using my own shell script to send mail reports about various
> conditions of system.

I thought about doing that as well, but I'm wondering if there is something
that already exists.  (No sense in reinventing the wheel.)  Also, feeding
the info to a database so trending information would be available as well
would probably be a nice feature.

> Also I am using stuff like nagios, munin to monitor my servers and to
> provide me with notifications in case of incidents.

The problem I have is I have one server running everything: list software
(mailman), smtp (postfix), imap (courier-imapd), web (apache13/mod_ssl),
webmail (squirrelmail), dns (bind9) and bulletin board software
(ultimatebb).  The website gets over 5 million hits/month, so I don't want
to add any more daemons, if I don't have to.

Something that spawns a short-term shell or process daily in the early
morning hours would probably be the best solution.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member