Date:      Sun,  6 May 2001 16:56:22 +1000 (EST)
From:      taylorm@bytecraft.au.com (User Taylorm)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ifhp dies with operation not allowed on parallel port

I'm trying to get my HP5MP compatible printer (parallel) to work with ifhp 3.3.10.
When I try to use ifhp I get this error:
# ifhp -Tmode=hp5mp,dev=/dev/lpt0,trace < hi.txt
ifhp 18:49:13.583 [36664] ifhp: fcntl fd 1 F_SETFL failed - Operation not supported by device

I can print by using cat filename >/dev/lpt0, so the printer is alive and
the computer can communicate with it.
Any ideas?

I'm using FreeBSD-4.2-STABLE

I have looked back in the archives and find the same question
from others but no answer...
Also the ports collection installs version 3.3.10 yet other
discussions mention 3.3.19 ??? if this _is_ the current version
how do I get it?

cheers
mjt