Date:      Mon, 5 Jun 1995 13:44:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw (Brian Tao)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Hardware failure" kernel message

Brian Tao writes:

>     I got this yesterday afternoon on leo, my 2.0.5A test machine:
>
> Jun  4 13:49:53 leo /kernel: sd0(ncr0:6:0): Deferred Error: HARDWARE FAILURE asc:87,0

A deferred error is an error that took place for a command that
has already had a GOOD status returned for it.  This is a particularly
nasty kind of error in my opinion.  The only reason I can think of
for the drive to return this kind of error is that you have write
cacheing on.

This is coming from the Quantum drive, and not from the controller.

87 is a vendor specific additional sense code, so we can't tell
what it is.

If you're willing to try to get through to Quantum tech support it
would be interesting to see if they can help you.  You received a
deferred error (sense data Error Code 0x70) with a SENSE KEY of 4
(HARDWARE ERROR), an Additional Sense Code of 0x87 (vendor-specific)
and an Additional Sense Code Qualifier of 0.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936