Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2001 12:09:04 +0200
From:      Vallo Kallaste <kalts@estpak.ee>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>, Charles Burns <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some h/w recommendations please...

On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 01:44:25AM -0800, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com> wrote:

> >The Sony Trinitron monitors were used for years as Sun and SGI monitors.
> >Their reliability, and quality, are pretty much second to none.
> >

> I purchased 2 Sony monitors 3 years ago, a 17inch Multiscan200sx and
> a 15inch Multiscan100gs.  The 17 inch monitor will crap out if the room
> temperature goes about 77 degrees.  The 15 inch monitor is now so dark you
> have
> to turn all the lights in the room off to read it.  I'll never buy another
> Sony monitor again nor will I ever spec them for any company I work for
> ever again.  Thank goodness that other companies manufacture the Trinitron
> tube now.

The other side of the moon:
I purchased Sony Multiscan 500PS (a 21" one) three years ago. Was
really expensive at this time, but worth it. I've been working three
years, 6 days per week, 7 hours per day and the quality of picture
is excellent. Really, sometimes world seems to be black-and-white
only. I've heard rumours about bad quality of newer Sony monitors,
but it'll take another three years to back it.
--

Vallo Kallaste
kalts@estpak.ee