Date:      Sun, 11 Jan 1998 08:57:32 -0500
From:      Norman C Rice <nrice@emu.sourcee.com>
To:        guelph@tpts5.seed.net.tw
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: netscape warning message?

On Sun, Jan 11, 1998 at 06:09:12PM +0800, Gordon Wang wrote:
> Dear Sir
> I am a freeBSD 2.2.1 user.
> When I ran my Netscape, I got messages:
> /usr/libexec/ld.so :warning:/usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6.1:minor version
> 1 older than expected 3, using it anyway
>
> /usr/libexec/ld.so :warning:/usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6.0:minor version
> 0 older than expected 3, using it anyway
>
> /usr/libexec/ld.so :warning:/usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6.1:minor version
> 1 older than expected 3, using it anyway
>
> /usr/libexec/ld.so :warning:/usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6.0:minor version
> 0 older than expected 3, using it anyway
>
> .
>
> However the Netscape still work.
>
> What are the problems causing these messages.
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Gordon

Netscape is expecting to find newer versions of the shared libraries
than appear to exist on your system. As everything appears to work
fine, you can get rid of the messages by copying the older libraries
to the newer names. As root,

  cd /usr/X11R6/lib
  cp libXext.so.6.1 libXext.so.6.3
  cp libICE.so.6.0 libICE.so.6.3

and those nag messages should go away. You may need to run `ldconfig'
to update the shared library cache (or just reboot your system).
--
Regards,
Norman C. Rice, Jr.