Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 2000 09:16:24 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Drew Tomlinson <Drew.Tomlinson@lc.ca.gov>
Cc:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Help With named.conf

On Saturday, 16 September 2000 at  0:26:31 -0700, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>>> Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm a newbie to both FreeBSD and Unix but I'm learning.  In
>> just over
>>> a month, I've succeeded in installing 4.0-S, learning to
>> use CVSup to
>>> synch my source, recompiled my kernel and upgraded to 4.1-S, and
>>> gotten Apache running.
>>
>> 	Congrats on your achievements so far. You should know
>> however that it's
>> considered rude to send HTML e-mail to any public list.
>
> Thank you.  I have set my email client to plain text.  Please let me know if
> it isn't received that way and I'll look into it.

Doug's not quite correct.  You are sending:

In other words, you are sending two copies of the message, one in
HTML, the other in something approaching plain text.  That hasn't
changed.  As you can see from this reply, it's also badly mutilated,
usually a sign of a Microsoft mail program:

>>> Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm a newbie to both FreeBSD and Unix but I'm learning.  In
>> just over
>>> a month, I've succeeded in installing 4.0-S, learning to
>> use CVSup to
>>> synch my source, recompiled my kernel and upgraded to 4.1-S, and
>>> gotten Apache running.
>>
>> 	Congrats on your achievements so far. You should know
>> however that it's
>> considered rude to send HTML e-mail to any public list.
>
> Thank you.  I have set my email client to plain text.  Please let me know if
> it isn't received that way and I'll look into it.

Presumably intended:

>>> Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>>>

>>> I'm a newbie to both FreeBSD and Unix but I'm learning.  In just
>>> over a month, I've succeeded in installing 4.0-S, learning to use
>>> CVSup to synch my source, recompiled my kernel and upgraded to
>>> 4.1-S, and gotten Apache running.
>>
>> 	Congrats on your achievements so far. You should know however
>> that it's considered rude to send HTML e-mail to any public list.
>
> Thank you.  I have set my email client to plain text.  Please let me
> know if it isn't received that way and I'll look into it.

You'd be well advised to change to a UNIX-based program with a real
editor as soon as you can.  If you can't, take a look at
http://www.lemis.com/email/email-format.html] for further ideas of how
to salvage the situation.  I've tried it: it works, but it's a lot of
work.

>>> My next endeavor is to set up named (DNS). All I want to do is
>>> include entries for the 3 nodes on my network so they can be
>>> resolved and then forward any other requests to my ISP for
>>> resolution.
>>
>> 	You don't want to use dns for this. You want to put the
>> entries for your 3 hosts in your /etc/hosts file, then make sure
>> that /etc/host.conf says something like:
>>
>> # First try the /etc/hosts file
>> hosts
>> # Now try the nameserver next.
>> bind
>
> Will this be perceived as a DNS server from my other nodes?

No, this only works for your system.

> In other words, can I use 192.168.0.5 as the DNS address in their
> configs?

No, the whole network 192.168.x.x is not routable, in other words it's
not reachable from outside your network.  This is a feature, not a
bug: plenty of people use these addresses, and they know they can
because it can't cause a conflict.

> The reason that I need DNS is because Unix Services 2.0 for Windows
> requires it to work properly but it can not be installed on the same
> machine that has Unix Services for Windows loaded. (Yet another
> reason to move from Windows).  Eventually, I plan to do away with
> all of this but for now, this is the best solution I have.

Well, I don't understand the Microsoft problems, but they don't apply
to UNIX.  The real issue is that you are on a non-routable network.
That just won't work.  You need to get the name server on a globally
visible system.  The obvious first step would be to make the FreeBSD
box the gateway, which has other advantages, but you probably need to
get your ISP to host the name services if he won't give you a real
static IP address.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.