Date:      Fri, 4 Jan 2002 15:54:06 -0800
From:      William Carrel <william.carrel@infospace.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: path_mtu_discovery

[reducing CC creep]
On Friday, January 4, 2002, at 03:46 PM, Leo Bicknell wrote:

> In a message written on Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 03:35:35PM -0800, Terry=20=

> Lambert wrote:
>> Of course, now you've let the dirty little secret out of the
>> bag: the MTU is on the *route*, which means on the next hop,
>> so a spoof that got through would frag basically all traffic
>> out of the victim machine down to 296 bytes...
>
> I might be assuming something here, but I want to clarify.  It is
> _NOT_ the case that a box with say, only a default route, would
> limit _ALL_ TCP connections to the lowest returned MTU.
>
> The MTU is on the *route*, where *route* =3D=3D the cloned route,
> correct?

That is certainly the way that the relevant code looks to me.

FWIW, this is really a rehash of the same topic that came up on Bugtraq=20=

a couple years ago, and was cross-posted into freebsd-security at one=20
point.  I'm not sure if anything came of it then.

--
     Andy Carrel - william.carrel@infospace.com - +1 (425) 201-8745
Se=F1or Systems Eng. - Corporate Infrastructure Applications - InfoSpace