Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 21:03:03 -0800
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        FreeBSD@jovi.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG, bug-followup@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/33904: secure mode bug

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 03:03:42PM -0500, FreeBSD@jovi.net wrote:
> It would help to document or fix date/ntpdate/ntpd/...

ntpdate(8) and ntpd(8) are contributed software. As far as I can tell,
FreeBSD uses "virgin" imports. There is no local customization of the
code. Maintaining local modifications to code maintained by outside
vendors is expensive and therefore needs a lot of justification.

> to warn of this "clock clamp" trouble

You do get a log message generated at <kern.crit>. That tends to be
something people notice.

> or better yet
> fix settimeofday to return EPERM instead of trying
> to second-guess the intent of the programmer.

That might be a valid option. Would you be willing to patch settime()
(in sys/kern/kern_time.c)? Would you be willing to test patches to see
if they don't break things even worse?

> If not, settimeofday documentation must clarify this silent lossage
> of setting a time other than what the calling program specified.

This is true. The statements in settimeofday(2) about "secure mode"
are actually incorrect. I'll commit a fix shortly.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's hilarious."