Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 1995 23:56:07 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        jhs@freebsd.org, n1epo4tl@ibmmail.com
Subject:   modem area code trick

This is not FreeBSD specific but those round the world living near but not
in large towns & using modems may appreciate it ...

A friend (Stuart A. (cc'd)) is in the dial code area for his nearby city,
but geographically is in a fairly distant outlying village (so distant,
that the other half of the village are not in the city dial code area).

He found his modem performed much better if he prepended the long distance
trunk code for the city, thus dialing 089.123456 instead of just 123456.
We presume he's getting better long distance trunk circuits, rather than
cheaper local copper, whatever ... it works for him !
We also assume he's still paying at local call rates.

Julian

Julian H. Stacey      EMAIL: jhs@freebsd.org  WEB: http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/