Date:      Thu, 28 May 2015 10:12:11 -0700
From:      Xin Li <delphij@delphij.net>
To:        hiren panchasara <hiren@strugglingcoder.info>,  Patrick Kelsey <pkelsey@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, delphij@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Looking for input on "locally patch tcpdump or merge in latest release from upstream?"

Hi, Hiren,

On 05/27/15 21:55, hiren panchasara wrote:
> On 05/28/15 at 12:40P, Patrick Kelsey wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've had a patch for a capsicum-related issue in tcpdump sitting
>> around since last September (
>> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2014-September/05
2049.html)

that is still needed and that I want finally address in the tree (the pa
tch
>> was reviewed by rwatson@ and pjd@ back then).
>>
>> This issue was patched separately in the upstream tcpdump sources
>> in February (
>> https://github.com/the-tcpdump-group/tcpdump/commit/887bf88fd058f8c0e
f9a5af1a95b43753e3ad2eb),

along with a refactor of the associated capsicum code, and that work has
>> been present in tcpdump releases since 4.7.3 (
>> http://www.tcpdump.org/tcpdump-changes.txt).
>>
>> The last tcpdump release imported into the FreeBSD tree was 4.6.2
>> ( http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/vendor/tcpdump/).
>>
>> tcpdump release import/merges have recently resulted in some
>> confusion/lost local patches due to the extent of the diffs
>> (e.g., the thread at
>> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/svn-src-head/2015-February/067853
.html).

I see three possible ways to proceed:

>> 1. Apply the minimal-local-diff patch from last September to our
>> local tcpdump sources.  This seems like it might contribute to a
>> future difficult/lossy tcpdump vendor import/merge.
>>
>> 2. Import tcpdump 4.7.3 or later to address this issue.  Are
>> there any reasons why this might not be desired?  I don't have a
>> feel for when/why past tcpdump vendor imports have been performed
>> or avoided.
>>
>> 3. Cherry-pick the upstream patch and apply it to our local
>> sources, directly addressing only this issue and avoiding future
>> tcpdump vendor import/merge problems related to this issue.
>>
>> I'm looking for input on the above.  If left to my own devices,
>> I'd go with (3).
>
> Latest upstream release is 4.7.4 and the one before that was 4.6.2
> which we already have in the tree. I think we should get latest
> instead of picking bits and pieces when possible.
>
> CCing Xin for his input as he has been doing last few imports.

Yes, I think we should do the new import.  (Are you willing to do
that?  I'm doing it only because nobody else were doing it...)

Cheers,
- --
Xin LI <delphij@delphij.net>    https://www.delphij.net/
FreeBSD - The Power to Serve!           Live free or die