Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 1997 04:39:03 -0600
From:      Chris Csanady <ccsanady@nyx.pr.mcs.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   ep driver memory management question..

I'm not very familiar with net drivers, but I would like to rewrite the ep
driver to use contiguous packet buffers.  I am curious about how it allocates
memory for packets, and if there are any limitations.  From the code, it looks
as if it just allocates an mbuf, dmas into it, and passes it off to
ether_input.  Is this correct?  I thought that there was a 16M limit on dma
for the isa bus without bouncing, but I didn't see anything that dealt with
this.  Is this because all the mbufs get allocated at boot, so its just the
way it turns out?  If so, I will need to allocate a contiguous chunk of memory
for the driver upon boot.  How would I do this?

Thanks,
Chris Csanady