Date:      Mon, 6 Aug 2001 15:41:45 +0100
From:      Paul Robinson <paul@akita.co.uk>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How did the MSFT monopoly start?

On Aug  6, j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org> wrote:

> But couldn't you also get PC-DOS, Compaq-DOS, DR-DOS, etc?  I remember

Only after the IBM PC BIOS had been reverse engineered and clones were
becoming available.

> reading that at the DOS level, software (and firmware) were simple enough to
> reverse engineer without much effort in comparison to today, where Windows
> has thousands of calls in the API.  Why did OEMs allow themselves to be put
> in that position, when other DOS clone manufacturers would have gladly
> offered more favorable licensing than MSFT did?

Probably with price breaks. Reverse engineering and ensuring compatability
(plus, probably having to pay licensing fees for some of the tech) would
make the whole process more expensive for competitors than for MS
itself. That would mean that MS would have been able to compete very well
with very large bulk OEMs, and where the larger suppliers go (and thereby
setting the standards) the smaller ones will follow.

If you were an OEM, would you sell a "clone" if it cost more than what is
perceived as the de facto industry standard with all the relevant branding?

Also, don't forget, reverse engineering is legally 'grey'. I seem to
remember various companies getting into trouble with IBM and MS over various
issues around reverse engineering.

--
Technical Director @ Akita      | A computer lets you make more mistakes
                                `-----