Date:      Sun, 04 Jan 1998 21:39:09 -0800
From:      Wayne Scott <wscott@ichips.intel.com>
To:        "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@consys.com>
Cc:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, garbanzo@hooked.net (Alex), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pentium optimizations

> The out-of-order execution seems to help a lot.  Oh, and the P5
> specific asm actually makes the PPro slow down over the C source;
> not good tidings for ye merry old tuners.
>
> }areas of reasonable payoffs, and lots of "obvious" optimizations that
> }end up being neutral.
>
> Yep.  I wouldn't worry too much about other people's claims about code
> optimized for Pentium Pro.
>
> Russell

When optimizing for the P6, the main things you should worry about are:
	branch prediction
	hitting the caches
	No unaligned data, and no partials.

For example, for branch prediction, the compile should try to make all
branches you don't take go forward so they don't occupy the BTB.

Code selection does matter, but only is special cases.

=Wayne

Wayne Scott		        MD6 Architecture - Intel Corp.
wscott@ichips.intel.com		Work #: (503) 264-4165
Disclaimer:  All views expressed are my own opinions, and not necessarily
             those of Intel Corporation.